Prosecutors reportedly said on Tuesday they would seek the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old behind the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, last month.

Broward County State Attorney Michael Satz's office filed the formal notice on Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

Cruz faces 34 charges after he opened fire on students and adults at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. He is expected to have an arraignment on Wednesday.

The defense could still reach a plea deal in which Cruz avoids the death penalty and spends the rest of his life in prison.

On the day after his shooting, authorities charged Cruz with 17 counts of first-degree murder, the same number of people who died in his rampage.

“Everybody knows who committed the crime and that the only question is does he live or does he die,” Broward County public defender Howard Finkelstein previously said.

Finkelstein suggested a plea deal would “avoid the unnecessary, arduous, long, painful, traumatic re-enactment of something that is so horrific the families and the community should not have to relive.”

Cruz's massacre prompted an outpouring of additional proposals to address school violence. Some of those proposals focused on mental health after Cruz reportedly exhibited disturbing behavior prior to the shooting.

Despite authorities receiving multiple tips about Cruz, however, Cruz was able to carry out his attack. Shortly after the shooting, the FBI admitted it failed to relay a tip to its Miami field office.

That appeared to prompt Attorney General Jeff Sessions to demand a review of his Department's tip processing. Sessions, like Trump, backed Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPOs) which offer a legal path for authorities to confiscate firearms from disturbed individuals.

Florida also enacted its own reform legislation which would raise the minimum purchase age, ban bump stocks, create mental health programs, and allow some school employees to carry firearms.